EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business.
• CPA strongly preferred.
• Minimum five years’ experience, preferably in a financial institution or public accounting firm.
• Previous supervisory experience required.
• Knowledge of accounting principles and industry best practices.
• Knowledge of credit union operations and regulations.
• Must have a knowledge of GAAP and familiarity with auditing standards.
• Excellent communication, analytical and problem solving skills.
• PC proficient including Windows and Excel.
• Ability to function in a financial institution environment and utilize standard office equipment including but not limited to: PC, fax, copier, telephone, etc.
• Ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs.
• Limited travel required.
Under general supervision, but following established policies and procedures, ensures the proper function of the credit union’s accounting system, share drafts and ACH processing. Responsible for implementing and integrating changes into the general ledger accounting systems. Supervises credit union staff in reconciling various systems and accounts, including credit union/bank accounts and GLs. Prepares management and regulatory reports for review by the AVP of Financial Operations and the CFO. Performs projects and financial analysis as necessary.
• Develops and maintains accounting information concerning income, expense, assets, liabilities, and capital in accordance with US GAAP. Provides financial information as a basis for management planning and decision making and for fulfilling financial reporting requirements. Assists with the quarterly filing of the NCUA 5300 Call Report.
• Maintains the credit union’s general ledger accounting system and investment schedules. Maintains accounting related specifications in automated systems and implements changes as needed. Advises the Business Technology department and other departments of accounting impact resulting from product changes or other business changes.
• Prepares monthly financial reports for review by management and the Board of Directors, such as the Balance Sheet, Income and Expense Report, and Ratio Analysis. Assists in budget preparation and financial statements.
• Responsible for all aspects of share draft, wire processing, accounts payable and programs. Ensures all information is complete, accurate, and posted in a timely manner in compliance with established policies and procedures. Monitors efficiency of these processes and stays up to date on all rules and regulation changes.
• Staffs, organizes, assigns duties, and supervises credit union Accounting Staff in its reconcilement, research and problem-solving duties. Supervises and assists accounting staff in accounts payable, wire transfers, general ledger reconcilement, ACH posting and exceptions processing, share draft posting and exceptions, insurance claim processing, research and other miscellaneous duties. Reviews allocations to expense accounts. In addition, ensures adequate staffing at all times for the Accounting hotline.
• Interviews, hires, trains, schedules, assigns work to, counsels, establishes performance expectations and recommends the discipline or discharge of subordinate staff, while maintaining required personnel documentation.
• Maintains current knowledge of NCUA regulations, general accounting procedures, and NACHA Rules & Regulations. Supports the AVP of Financial Operations with external auditors and regulators. Provides required support for all audits and examinations.
• Supports the AVP of Financial Operations with external auditors and regulators. Provides required support for all audits and examinations.
• Performs duties and responsibilities in accordance with current company principles.
• Remains cognizant of and adheres to credit union policies and procedures, and regulations pertaining to the Bank Secrecy Act.
• Performs other Accounting/Finance related duties as assigned by the AVP of Financial Operations.